Original Composition - Etude In Fifths posted by Leon Thomas

5 posts on this topic, 4831 views

Post a Reply
Original Composition - Etude In Fifths on March 15, 2020 @ 1:39 amReport this post as inappropriate#1
by Leon Thomas Leon Thomas is currently offline. Click to send a message.

This piece was inspired by Béla Bartók's approach to folk music. It is derived from Armenian folk melodies which emphasize the use of the perfect fifth interval. In the beginning of the piece, the left hand plays alternate harmonic intervals of perfect fifths. Then in the beginning of the second section, if voices are separated in the left hand, melodic intervals of perfect fifths are heard as A to E (ascending) and G to C (descending). This harmonic motif appears throughout the piece. Lastly, the harmonic modulations and bass movements circulate around the use of the perfect and diminished fifths. As for modes, this piece incorporates both harmonic minor and whole-tone scales throughout.

Reply to this message by quoting it
Re: Original Composition - Etude In Fifths posted by Leon Thomas on March 30, 2020 @ 4:04 pmReport this post as inappropriate#2
by Ed Durbrow Ed Durbrow is currently offline. Click to send a message.

I like it! And you are a terrific piano player.

Re: Original Composition - Etude In Fifths posted by Leon Thomas on April 18, 2020 @ 3:27 amReport this post as inappropriate#3

On March 30, 2020 Ed Durbrow wrote:

I like it! And you are a terrific piano player.

Thanks a lot.

Re: Original Composition - Etude In Fifths posted by Leon Thomas on April 26, 2020 @ 7:09 pmReport this post as inappropriate#4
by Dennis Vandenberg Dennis Vandenberg is currently offline. Click to send a message.

woa. Way over my head. You have a bright future. Very accomplished.

Re: Original Composition - Etude In Fifths posted by Leon Thomas on April 27, 2020 @ 1:29 amReport this post as inappropriate#5

Thank you Dennis.

Post a Reply