Re: Jacob Collier is overrated and I would love an opinion. posted by posted by rohan jadhav

6 posts on this topic, 6768 views

Post a Reply
Jacob Collier is overrated and I would love an opinion. on June 5, 2020 @ 7:44 amReport this post as inappropriate#1
by rohan jadhav rohan jadhav is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Jacob is an extremely good instrumentalist. He knows quite a few instruments pretty good, has a great ear and a good voice.

I have trouble with his artistry. It is limited to what I like to think of as chop music. I would want to assume I'm stupid to not understand a depth in his artistry, but really it seems like a stack of harmonies, rhythms and melodies in terms of ‘concepts'.

I personally don't want to hear humans trying to become absolute machines. Drummer Thomas Lang is a good example. He is technically a terminator, but still people don't play him on their records as often even though everybody loves his chops.

Jacob is too good to get feedback and seems like he's getting farther and farther from comprehensible, enjoyable and imperfect music. What's worse is some people contend that he might be ‘the greatest musician'. I disagree with this completely.

Reply to this message by quoting it
Re: Jacob Collier is overrated and I would love an opinion. posted by on June 5, 2020 @ 5:36 pmReport this post as inappropriate#2
by Yuri Katz Yuri Katz is currently offline. Click to send a message.

I agree. Also, he should delegate the vocal duties of his creations to real vocalists.

Re: Jacob Collier is overrated and I would love an opinion. posted by on June 5, 2020 @ 8:18 pmReport this post as inappropriate#3
by Watusi Watusi is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Jacob Collier is the most amazing musician on the planet right now.

Period.

Not as singer, tho great. Not as songwriter, tho great.

Hard to appreciate if you dont understand the excellence, the work, the brilliance.

I do.

Re: Jacob Collier is overrated and I would love an opinion. posted by on June 5, 2020 @ 10:15 pmReport this post as inappropriate#4
by Tracy Anderson Tracy Anderson is currently offline. Click to send a message.

Let me ask you this .. have you ever gone And watched Al Di Meola play live .? I think that he is decent technical player.. I also think that his writing lacks .. this is my personal opinion ... i cant just change my mind about that .. it just is...

Edited by Tracy Anderson on June 5, 2020 @ 10:16 pmReply to this message by quoting it
Re: Jacob Collier is overrated and I would love an opinion. posted by on June 22, 2020 @ 12:20 pmReport this post as inappropriate#5
by Stefanie Eberhardt Stefanie Eberhardt is currently offline. Click to send a message.

I agree with you!

Re: Jacob Collier is overrated and I would love an opinion. posted by on March 8, 2022 @ 10:36 pmReport this post as inappropriate#6
by David Kent David Kent is currently offline. Click to send a message.

On June 22, 2020 Stefanie Eberhardt wrote:

I agree with you!

This puts me in a tough position as a music startup business leader. Jacob Collier is considered the darling of everyone I meet which could consistute a wide "generation gap". For me, this goes to the heart of what is beautiful noise and what is ugly music. As an aside, some of the production is misleading: it is not "live" as presented and is overproduced to the point of being synthesized rather than genuine. It's as if an AI bot were writing and performing. We've all seen this before but I prefer authenticity. There's an indefinable "something" that makes music meaningful at a visceral level. As a music critic, for example, you're supposed to be able to find a way to explain if it is present in a work and thereby advise potential listeners. All I have to say at this point is "This is not _it_".

Edited by David Kent on March 8, 2022 @ 10:47 pmReply to this message by quoting it
Post a Reply